Soton Tab Editor Applications NOW OPEN

Southampton’s biggest news site is recruiting

The Soton Tab is run by a small team of dedicated student writers who all believe in the same thing: writing things students want to read, in a style they want to read it in.

We’re looking for fun, charismatic and literate people to take the Tab to the next level in the coming year – but more importantly, we’re looking for people who have something to say about their community and their lifestyle.

In the past year we’ve smashed our all-time daily hits record and have established ourselves as one of the most-read student publications in the country. We’ve also broken stories that have made headlines worldwide.

There’s never been a better time to get involved.

We don’t do democracy at the Soton Tab, we just pick all the best people who apply- you don’t need to have written for us before, we’re looking for the keenest candidates with the most exciting ideas.

Applications are open here, and will close on Monday 2nd May.

Editor x2 

A fan of being in charge? Then this is the role for you. The two people in this role are the bosses – in charge of the whole thing. To publish or not to publish? The decisions you make on a regular basis are seen by the thousands of people who read the Soton Tab every day. You’ll need to be able to manage a team, organise meetings and delegate. A fair bit of work, and a lot of responsibility – but incredibly rewarding, fantastic fun and a massive CV boost.

The Soton Tab has nearly 11000 Facebook likes, that’s far more than any other student site in Southampton. It’s your job to publish what these guys want to read.

Think you can do a better job than Joel and Ben? You can apply for this role here.

Deputy Editor x2

As a Deputy Editor, you will be the second in command of your Editors. Your role will focus either on mainly news or mainly features, where you will oversee that everything is running smoothly. You will also take on any extra jobs which your Editors may require of you at busy times, including proof-reading and publishing articles. More responsibility that an Section Editor role but with many more perks too!

You can apply for this role here.

Section Editors 

The following Section Editors work in a team and very closely with the Editors. Your section is your baby and you are in charge of recruiting writers and editing articles to be submitted to the Editors. You are the go-to person for anyone who wants to write for your section. You need to be able to source the content and edit articles.

News Editor x2

As News Editor, you’re all about getting the scoops and publishing the scandal before anyone else. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t hack phones or bug offices but it does help having your fingers in a few campus pies. We’ve got tips and tricks from the professionals on sourcing fast, fun news relevant to students which is guaranteed to rake in the hits. The current Soton Tab team will show you the ropes and clue you up on news reporting and editing, and in no time you’ll see your articles go viral across Southampton and sometimes national.

Some of the biggest news stories we’ve done have tens of thousand of hits, and even made national and worldwide headlines, such as:

Where are your tuition fees going?

The students who sued their landlord and won

University confirm they will not honour library referendum result

You can apply for this role here.

Opinion Editor x2

We’ve gained a reputation for publishing opinion columns which provoke furious debates; as an independent site, this is what Soton Tab is all about. Your job is to find angry people, get them to write articles for us and then edit pieces just enough so that we don’t get sued. You’re opinionated, you say what you want, and you don’t care.

Our legendary opinion articles include:

Why the conference on Israel’s legitimacy cannot go ahead

Should smoking on campus be banned

American Football: The Lowest Common Denominator

You can apply for this role here.

Features Editor x3

You’re all about finding the best new stuff on campus and across the country, and writing about it. Whether it’s interviewing a famous student, carrying out voxpops on campus or photographing the latest fashion trends, you’re willing to get stuck in and aren’t afraid to talk to people.

This is your opportunity to go out and find news, but cover it in a way that you want. Here are some of the recent stories we’ve done:

Campus Style: Freshers Week

Why I dropped out of university

Why aren’t more students Vegan?

You can apply for this role here.

Sport Editor

When you’re not down the Stag’s watching a repeat of Bradford-Leeds from 1993, you’re at Wide Lane cheering on the Stags. A passion for sport in general is vital. At Southampton we love our sports teams, they’re amongst the best in the country. We want to get to know them better. Our Sports Editor would want to interview captains, keep track of results and write about any derby wins, go out on socials and see what it’s really like to drink with the football team. You’ll also be in charge of running our coverage of Varsity, which is one of the biggest events of the year. This is a role we’re bringing back in from the cold after a year away, so if you want a chance to really mould a role into your own then this is for you.

Meet the sports teams: Football

Portsmouth win first Varsity match of the year

You can apply for this role here.

Social Editor

This is a new role we’ve created for 2016. If you’re addicted to YikYak, spend too much time on Twitter and can’t stop scrolling through the LadBible videos, then you’ll be perfect for this position. The role will be to source new content for the page that is non-article based, and is ideal for anyone looking to break into social media. That means finding pictures and videos that people will like and share, generating new ways to keep the Soton Tab on the tip of everyone’s tongue.

We have a few examples on our Facebook page, but for a better understanding visit The Tab’s Facebook page here.

You can apply for this role here.

Tab TV Editor

This is the big one. We’ve been planning this all semester, and are very excited to be launching Soton Tab video content this semester. If you’re a director, producer or presenter who wants their work to be seen by an audience of tens of thousands, can take a commission and turn it around into an engaging short video for students, and have the connections to make it happen, we want you to get involved.

Some videos featured on our Facebook page have had over 500,000 views, so this is a great opportunity for any budding filmmakers and broadcasters to get your work seen.

As this role is new and fairly broad, what we’re looking for above all is an enthusiasm to create. If you have any questions about this role, do not hesitate to get in touch at [email protected]

You can apply for this role here.