University offers placement at ‘ISIS’

It’s a really great experience

Much like Southampton’s most loved strip club, or Downton Abbey’s cute labrador, the unfortunately common name ISIS has claimed another victim.

The University of Southampton has sent a particularly interesting  email to students offering them summer placements with ISIS.

Fortunately for you, and most likely the university, you aren’t being recruited to join an extreme Islamist group in Syria.

In fact, the email is offering placements at the Science & Technology Facilities Council. Not quite as exciting.

According to their website “ISIS is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory near Oxford in the United Kingdom.”

A high-tech lab in Oxford certainly is a far cry from a camp in the Syrian desert.

The Science & Technology Facilities Council aren’t the first to have the bad luck of having the same name as the terrorist group. Yet, whereas the ITV killed off Isis the dog, and the owners changed the name of ISIS the strip club, The Science & Technology Facilities Council proudly march on.