Islamic Society Raise £4000 for refugees

The money raised went to Islamic Relief.

The Islamic Society succeeded in raising over £4000 for Islamic Relief, a charity that aims to reach out to children, particularly orphans, and make sure they are receiving food, clothing and shelter.

The events happened last week through a special dinner and auction event, a fun day at a local mosque and a charity bake sale in the SUSU building during over the last week, culminating with a football tournament.

Winners: Team United celebrate their victory after a highly competitive tournament

We caught up with the event organiser and Sports President of the Islamic Society, Ali Laham at the charity game. He was extremely pleased with the incredible turnout, describing the tournament as a ‘big success’.

One player described the event as “a testimony to the good heart of everyone that showed up and of the people at the society who saw football as a way to raise money in order to help those that desperately needed it”.

All in this together: Every single player gathers to show their unified support for Islamic Relief

The tournament by itself managed to raise over £150 after paying for facilities, however it was not the only event run by the Islamic Society over the past few days to try and raise money for Islamic Relief.

Summing up the week’s events in his speech at the end of the tournament, Ali talked passionately about the importance of charity and that the Islamic Society saw it as a ‘moral obligation’ to help those that cannot necessarily help themselves. He went on to say that everyone at the society was ‘deeply humbled by the overwhelming support from everyone at the university and even some members of the public’.

The Islamic Society are also currently running an ongoing campaign named ‘SyriaNot4gotten’, where they are accepting donations of items such as food, blankets, nappies, etc. and shipping them out to Calais for the refugees over there, with the first shipment due out on November 7th.