Why you should aim for a first as a Fresher

Throughout first year, Freshers are constantly told to stop being so uptight, first year doesn’t matter and to stop hogging the library. Fair enough. For many degrees the first year […]

Throughout first year, Freshers are constantly told to stop being so uptight, first year doesn’t matter and to stop hogging the library.

Fair enough. For many degrees the first year of academics has no bearing on the final grade, but here are all the reasons you should still try:

Internships

Hardly anybody knows what they want to do these days, which is all the more reason why you should try and get as much experience in the job world as possible. Penultimate year internships open in September of second year and so you have to submit first year grades. If you just scraped through thanks to your summer retakes, you’re unlikely to be successful.

Graduate Job

With 40% of graduates being unemployed 6 months into their entry into the job market, it is becoming harder and harder to secure the job of your dreams. Having that first in first year may just be the thing to make your application shine.

Years Abroad

Depending on your department, there will be opportunities to apply to study abroad in your second and third years. However, going to university in Hong Kong doesn’t come easy so its only those that have solid grades throughout their university careers that actually stand a chance.

Easier Transition into Second Year

For most of us that didn’t lift a finger as a Fresher, entering second year can be a bit of a shock. If you learned how to secure a seat in the library during exam season as a Fresher you will have a serious advantage when it “really matters”.

You’re paying £9,000 a year!

There will always be people that laugh at the Freshers who sit with their head in the books throughout the year…but ultimately, you pay a lot of money for the honour of getting a degree. Why on earth would you not want the most out of it??

Got any more reasons, or still think first year doesnt matter? Let us know in the comments below!