Outrage as SUSU axe burger meal deal from Cafe

A lunchtime favourite of Southampton students has been discontinued, leaving a sour taste in the mouths of many. For several years the SUSU Cafe, located downstairs in the Union Building, […]

A lunchtime favourite of Southampton students has been discontinued, leaving a sour taste in the mouths of many.

The reassuring school-dinner themed trays no longer carry reasonably priced burgers

For several years the SUSU Cafe, located downstairs in the Union Building, offered a £4.95 lunchtime meal deal. Providing a burger, chips, two sides and a drink, it represented good value for money and kept many students coming back.

To the disgust of many returning students, SUSU have now stopped this deal, forcing burger-craving students to buy each item individually at a significantly increased overall price.

One of several complaints about the removal of the meal deal

Assuming you purchased the same items as previously offered by the meal deal, you would now be paying out around £6.50, which is a 31% increase in price.

Counter staff have been handing out feedback slips to outraged students complaining about the lack of a meal deal, advising them to email [email protected].

However, as of this week, staff have apparently been discouraged from handing out the slips- currently, there are none to be seen.

Worrying news as far as democracy is concerned

John, third year English student, told us “It’s outrageous. I was in there yesterday and I felt sick, stormed out in protest”. This feeling is echoed by Thomas, second year engineer, who said “I used the cafe a lot last year but since the meal deal disappeared it’s not the same”.

Ed, third year History student was distraught, asking “How on earth am I supposed to keep up my cheap, chicken-y gains?” The overall feeling is clearly one of betrayal, with students struggling to comprehend why SUSU would stop offering the meal deal.

Have you been affected by the removal of the £4.95 burger meal deal? Let us know in the comment section below.