Tory Councillor calls Solent the 'other uni'

A Tory Councillor on the Southampton City Council has been criticised after seemingly insulting the standing of Southampton Solent University. During a “heated” debate on plans for new homes in […]

A Tory Councillor on the Southampton City Council has been criticised after seemingly insulting the standing of Southampton Solent University.

During a “heated” debate on plans for new homes in the city, cllr Nigel Hecks, representing the Sholing ward, highlighted the difficulties caused by the growing student population, before sparking outrage.

He said “We need to know the plans for students’ needs at the universities, both at the proper university and the other one.”

Opposition Councillors shouted “snobbery” following the jibe, which appears to target Solent’s former Institute status. They recently celebrated their 10 year anniversary of becoming a University.

Labour cllr Eamonn Keogh said “There are many students who go to both universities and they would not like that.”

A spokewoman for Southampton Solent said: “As an established part of the city, providing support and advice to civic, business and wider communities, we are slightly surprised and disappointed to hear that a long-term resident of the city has referred to the universities in Southampton in this way.”

“We will be inviting Cllr Hecks to visit Solent, tour our campus and learn about the facilities, opportunities and services we offer.”

Hecks responded “I wasn’t being derogatory. I was saying that Southampton university is the primary university and that Southampton Solent stemmed from the institute.”

He added “It’s a good university with a magnificent prospectus.”

What do you think? Outrageous insult or fair description? Let us know in the comments below!