Southampton rises 13 places in world uni rankings

The University of Southampton has been rated 81st in the world according to this years QS World University Rankings. Moving up 13 places from the 2014 ranking, Southampton has firmly […]

The University of Southampton has been rated 81st in the world according to this years QS World University Rankings.

Moving up 13 places from the 2014 ranking, Southampton has firmly secured its spot in the top 100 universities across the globe.

According to the QS rankings data, Southampton’s rise can be attributed to improvements in staff : student ratio and the University’s increased reputation between fellow academics and employers around the world.

In subject specific rankings, Southampton gained 28th position in the world for Earth and Marine Sciences.

Amongst UK universities, Southampton placed 17th, making it to eighth position in the subject rankings for Engineering & Technology and ninth for Natural Sciences.

Professor Don Nutbeam, the university’s Vice-Chancellor, expressed his delight at the rise in Southampton’s global standing, saying “This ranking confirms the University of Southampton’s position amongst the world’s top 100 universities and provides evidence of our status as a truly global institution.”

“We have shown consistent and continual improvement in all of the national and international University league tables.”

“This improvement of 13 places in the QS rankings demonstrates recognition of our excellence in education and research by our peers and employers around the world. It is due reward for the excellent work of all our staff and students.”

The QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) rankings are an internationally recognised indicator of excellence in teaching, research, citations of research, industry and academic reputation and the international mix of students and staff.

You can see the full results here