WHATSOC? Fandomonium Society!

Whether your interests lie in Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings or Star Trek, this is the society to unite all fans. The Soton Tab spoke to Fandomonium […]

Whether your interests lie in Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings or Star Trek, this is the society to unite all fans.

The Soton Tab spoke to Fandomonium Society’s President Matt Warren to find out more about programme viewings, prejudices and PokéSoc.

Can you explain to us exactly what Fandomonium is?

Fandomonium Society is a group for people to come together and celebrate, share and watch the wide variety of fandoms that exist in every form of media, from the big names like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings, to less frequently heard of pieces of work like the Princess Bride or Babylon 5.

It’s a place where you’re free to discuss your interests without judgement, and quite often you’ll find someone else who is a member of the same fandom, or get introduced to new fandoms along the way.

What do members get up to at meetings?

Generally we’ll have a showing based on a weekly theme, normally the first episode of the first season of a show, as voted on by the society as a whole. We then go on to The Bridge for drinks and to chat about the show we’ve just watched, the fandoms that interest us, and more often than not a game of Cards Against Humanity.

We do movie showings, especially around big events like the holidays, and occasional game nights. We’re also planning new things like quizzes and debates.

Fandom fun at the BunFight

How do you manage to accommodate every member’s personal fandom interests?

We do votes for every weeks showings, normally based around a theme, so people can suggest their fandoms be watched. We’re more than happy for people to speak in front of the group if they want to introduce everyone to a new fandom, and the chats in the Bridge are great ways to find out if others share the same interests as you. We’re welcoming to all, and no fandom is barred.

Do you feel that the newly founded PokéSoc are stepping on your toes slightly? Pokémon is surely Fandom territory?

While Pokémon is an amazing fandom and close to the hearts of most of the Fandomonium Society (especially the committee), it’s great to see it get its own society, and we’d love to do a joint event with them in the future.

(Matt made no comment regarding alleged tensions between the two societies.)

FandomSoc committee 2015-16

Do you find that people have preconceived ideas about your society?

I’d say our society is geeky, and I’m proud to call myself a geek, and I doubt those who would be interested in our society would object too much to being called geeky. From people who I’ve spoken to about the society who aren’t already members, I’ve never had someone say they wouldn’t join because it’s geeky.

There are, however, probably those out there who do feel this way, to whom I’d like to extend an invitation to join us for a meeting or social and see what it’s really like. We’re like a family, and we want to be as welcoming as possible. Labels are labels, if someone thinks it’s geeky and you enjoy it, do it anyway. Life’s too short not to enjoy it as much as possible.

What’s a typical FandomSoc social?

We’ll normally go to Sprinkles or Scoops Gelato for ice-cream, and then onwards to a pub, usually the Hobbit but we’ve been known to go down to the Alexandra Beer Emporium. As well as these socials, we also go to Bar 3 for our non-alcoholic socials. The plan for next year is to also go to Winchester and have socials there with Winchester School of Art.

Some of FandomSoc’s members at the London MCM Comic Con

Jesters or Sobar?

Fandomonium as a society hasn’t been to either, we’re loyal to the Hobbit and we love it there!

The Wessex Scene or Soton Tab?

I can’t personally speak for the society as a whole, but I read and love both.

If you’re interested in finding out more about Fandomonium society join their Facebook page here, of follow them on Twitter @UoSFandomSoc.