Mayflower Halls: Fires, Facilities and Asda

One of Southampton University’s newest and largest halls, Mayflower Halls has a colourful history having already hosted its very own fire and served as a post-it note art gallery. This […]

One of Southampton University’s newest and largest halls, Mayflower Halls has a colourful history having already hosted its very own fire and served as a post-it note art gallery. This was where I spent my first year at Southampton University.

In Southampton’s ‘Cultural Quarter’, Mayflower is comprised of three blocks, towering up to 16 levels high.

Some of the resident’ impressive post-it note art.

All the buildings have at least one lift but these are frequently out of order so the stairs will become a familiar trek to future residents. Each building comes with common rooms with sofas and plasma screen TV’s where pre-drinks, society gatherings and film nights are often held. Block C will also host a study room which is due for completion 2015/16.

Mayflower is a five minute walk to ASDA and West-Quay shopping centre in the heart of Southampton. The halls are also within close proximity to Bedford Place, Oceana and Switch as well as local bars and pubs, and a bus away from the likes of Jesters and Sobar. Mayflower A hosts a Co-op which is great for grabbing last minute snacks and drinks.

Mayflowers Block A also contains a brand new gym which can be used by students who purchase a Sports and Well Being Membership, as well as being within close proximity to the city’s parks where sports can be played.

Laundry facilities are located on the ground floor of Block C and are paid for via an electronic card which can be purchased for £2 and can be topped up online. There are approximately 12 washing machines to serve all three blocks which means they are often overcrowded, however, so time your trip well (i.e. 2 in the morning).

The standard rooms are fairly small and contain a single bed, long desk and chair. They also all come with ensuite bathrooms- although these are often the source of flooding. These rooms are within flats containing 6-12 people with shared kitchens and social areas with dining space and chairs.

All rooms, flats and buildings are accessed via electronic key rings which provide a secure environment- Although this is a nightmare when you forget your key!

Mayflower also contains self contained studio flats. These consist of larger rooms with a small double bed, desk and chair with the addition of a small kitchen area and a slightly larger en-suite bathroom.

During one of many character-building evacuations..

Although the studios are self contained, they are still within flats with a shared social area. There are also one-bedroom self contained flats.

The real downside to Mayflower is how far away the halls are from the campus. It is generally approximately 15 minutes to Avenue Campus and 25 minutes to Highfield Campus.

A bus pass is given to all Fresher’s so all travel throughout Southampton is free for the first year which is good as you will need it for those 9AM’s. The buses are often overcrowded during peak times as well but they do arrive frequently.

Check out our other halls reviews:

Did you live in Mayflower last year? Let us know your experiences in the comments below!