Top 5 Off The Beaten Track Holiday Hotspots

Fed up of seeing ‘MAGA 2K15’ posts clogging up your timeline? Looking to book a summer getaway with a loved one and feel like you’ve seen it all before? These […]

Fed up of seeing ‘MAGA 2K15’ posts clogging up your timeline? Looking to book a summer getaway with a loved one and feel like you’ve seen it all before? These unusual destinations could be the ones for you. 

Let’s face it, there’s only so much you can do in Mediterranean Europe and coastal Spain. Drinking yourself half to death on budget local spirits by the bucketload is fun for a while, but the novelty will soon wear off.

Don’t spend another year in the company of these people

Fear not, the Soton Tab has you covered. We looked into some original holiday destinations which will really set you apart from the crowd come September.

1. San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Fancy yourself as an adrenaline junkie? Is ‘Danger’ your middle name? You might enjoy a trip to San Pedro in Honduras. Drug trafficking, gang culture and a booming illegal firearms trade have led many to name San Pedro the ‘Murder Capital of the World’.

You can barely even notice the average of three homicides a day

If you feel like relaxing while you’re there you can always head down to the Zona De Armenta, a river in the city where many people go to swim and kick back. We really have all the bases covered.

2. Syria

Fancy a holiday that will really end your summer with a bang? Syria is an ideal, up and coming destination. An incredibly unstable government coupled with warring extremist factions will guarantee you an explosive holiday.

The beaches are probably the only thing attracting young people to Syria, right?

We’re not quite sure why Syria is becoming a very popular tourist destination this year. Maybe it’s the warm weather, the beautiful beaches, or the historical cities, who knows. All we can say for certain is that the number of young adults flocking there this year proves that it is a holiday hot spot for 2015.

3. Antarctica

Tired of overcrowded beaches and the same old middle of the road warm weather? A trip to Antarctica could be the one for you.

For those of you who like a holiday rave, the locals love a shuffle

With a population density of only 75 people per million square kilometres, you won’t have to worry about beating those keen Europeans to a sun lounger at 5am. Average yearly precipitation is a mere 200mm, so you can forget those pesky rain showers which can really put a dampener on your holiday.

4. Somalia

For those of you who enjoy a more active holiday, sailing in Somalia could be right up your street. With the warm African climate and the Indian Ocean to the East, it seems like the ideal sailing destination.

One of many friendly Somalian seafarers

Ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean? You might get the chance to experience piracy in real life! Piracy has declined recently, but there is still a slight risk of being attacked and hijacked. Word of warning, these guys don’t have swords and parrots, just automatic rifles.

5. Bognor Regis

On a budget this summer? Why not stay within sunny England and visit Bognor Regis? Easily accessible via train from East Croydon or by car, this is one holiday destination you would be a fool to miss.

Stunning, simply stunning

It’s hard to select just a few of the many things Bognor Regis has to offer tourists, but we’ll give it a go. It is rich in history, visited by King George V, and used for smuggling. It has a Butlins. You can even go to the FREE Bognor Rox music and arts festival. Who said you need to go abroad for a decent holiday?

So there you have it, the Soton Tab’s top 5 original holiday destinations. Try them out, and thank us later.

Had an off the beaten track holiday we missed? Let us know in the comments.