Charge into summer with the Southampton Race for Life

Charge into summer with the Southampton Race for Life. Every year around 43,600 people are diagnosed with cancer in the South East Region, the equivalent of around five people every […]

Charge into summer with the Southampton Race for Life.

Every year around 43,600 people are diagnosed with cancer in the South East Region, the equivalent of around five people every hour. Shocking, right?

Students of Southampton are being fired up by the thought of summer. Well, here is the chance to channel pent up energy from exams and dissertation into training for Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life.

Over-indulging during exams? Beat the summer rush to the gym and kickstart a healthier lifestyle by training for 5k, 10k and Pretty Muddy events on the Southampton Common this summer.

The Pretty Muddy event will take place on Saturday 4th July and the 5k & 10k events on Sunday 5th July- so there is still plenty of time to sign up.

Here is your chance to get you and your friends covered in mud, sweat and hopefully only tears of laughter in the Pretty Muddy race.

Imagine how many Facebook likes a picture of you covered in mud and looking all sassy would get

If the actual race isn’t for you then you can sign up to volunteer on the day. Everyone needs volunteering experience for the dreaded CV and the events cannot take place without vital volunteers like you.

Get involved with something not based around your degree and writing essays for once. Sign up to volunteer and show your parents you are doing extra-curricular things by supporting Cancer Research. Hey- they can’t argue with that.

Encourage your housemates, course mates, friends from home, casual Jesters acquaintances, those girls you bonded with in the loo, sisters, colleagues, University staff and even lecturers to join. Enter in a group, train together to improve fitness and have fun while raising money.

Liz Frisby, Event Manager for Southampton, said:

Pretty Muddy promises all the fun and camaraderie of our much loved 5k and 10k events – just with an extra serving of mud!

To enter Race for Life today go to raceforlife.org or call 0300 123 0770.

Thinking of getting involved? Let us know in the comments!