University to introduce 8am lectures

Following in the footsteps of the University of Bath, Southampton is introducing 8am lectures for the 2015/16 cohort. The new vice chancellor is said to be behind the introduction of […]

Following in the footsteps of the University of Bath, Southampton is introducing 8am lectures for the 2015/16 cohort.

The new vice chancellor is said to be behind the introduction of these new painfully early lecture slots. They are designed to ready students for working life as well as allowing lecturers to leave earlier in the evening.

Because university is for the lecturers, right?

The change is also in response to the growing numbers of students attending the University, increasing the number of fun learning hours that can be packed into the day.

Don’t reckon this guy will be getting to his 8am

It could be assumed that students would be against something that could cut their hangover snooze short, however, psychology Masters student, Hannah Hickman simply said:

It’s not the end of the world.

Next year’s union president, Ben Franklin, told us:

8am lectures make sense in theory, but I don’t think attendance will be fantastic the night after a Jesters Monday. Or Sobar Tuesday. Or AU Wednesday… actually, no. This is a terrible idea and one I’ll be working to reverse the minute I take office.

Georgia Eves, a third year BSC Geography student, said:

It would encourage some to increase their productivity. However, it could end up causing a nap epidemic.

So, will the early bird catch the worm?

Let us know what you think about 8am lectures in the comments.