SUSU to no longer make money from our menstrual cycles

The SUSU shop are to sell tampons at cost price in a short period of time. SUSU will sell tampons and sanitary towels at cost price in protest of EU’s so-called […]

period sanitary sanitary towels SUSU susu shop tampax tampons tax

The SUSU shop are to sell tampons at cost price in a short period of time.

SUSU will sell tampons and sanitary towels at cost price in protest of EU’s so-called five per cent ‘period tax’, it has announced.

SUSU president David Mendoza-Wolfson said the time of the month has come to:

Make the change, the tax is just wrong.

A motion will also be put forward to officially support the national campaign at the next Union Council meeting.

Profit on sanitary items on campus will be over in a short period of time, he adds, as the pricing change will come into effect on 1 March. The SUSU shop will also stock mooncups, a reusable menstrual cap made of silicone plastic.

In his blog DMW is also encouraging people to sign this petition to stop the period tax. Period.

Students have been periodically complaining about the VAT charge on the Feminism Society Facebook group for some time now.

The decision is not an ovary-action, says its president, Natalie Rowell:

I think most people can agree that sanitary items are hardly a luxury, but rather a necessity that many of our students have to purchase.

Humanities student Kathryn Parsons says:

It’s bloody great news…And mooncups are really good, so much better for the environment and loads of people I know recommend them.

What do you think about tampon tax? Let us know in the comments!