Review: Trago Lounge

Having heard mixed reviews, the Soton Tab decided that it was about time we checked out Trago Lounge ourselves. Its shabby chic décor is welcoming and homely, so much so that […]

Having heard mixed reviews, the Soton Tab decided that it was about time we checked out Trago Lounge ourselves.

Its shabby chic décor is welcoming and homely, so much so that there were even a few students writing essays in there! With board games, comfy sofas and outdoor seating, there isn’t much the restaurant doesn’t have.

Trago Lounge by day

Trago Lounge by night. Candles and mood lighting.

The quality and volume of food, friendly staff and fun atmosphere was worth the extra pennies but some students felt differently. Plus, it’s ideally located only a stone’s throw from Sainsbury’s in Portswood.

The location couldn’t be better

But not everyone is keen. Third year Geography student Lucy told the Soton Tab why she doesn’t think Trago Lounge is the best thing since sliced bread:

I really like the food in Trago Lounge but I am really put off by the continuous bad service, I always seem to wait so long for my food. It’s also quite pricey, especially breakfast.

With a ‘seat yourself’ mentality and service where you pay when you order at the bar, Trago Lounge is ideal for a no-hassle meal.

We found the restaurant is better at lunch rather than dinner but in all honesty it was delicious at all times of day. Lunchtime paninis and sandwiches are scrumptious while their all-day brunch selection offer lighter alternatives.

Cajun chikcen panini with house slaw and skin-on fries – to die for.

Twisted chicken club sandwich with house slaw and fries

The brunch menu is long and delicious. A cheaper alternative and just as filling as a sandwich.

A tasty option for brunch. Lounge Eggs on an English muffin with either bacon, spinach, chorizo, mushrooms or salmon.

Trago Lounge for dinner? Maybe not as good as lunch but we still loved it.

Hero hamburger only for heroes (with an extra hamburger of course).

Salmon and smoked pollock fishcakes with straw potatoes. They didn’t taste anywhere near as burned as they look. A highly recommended meal for a slightly lighter option.

To counteract their prices, Trago Lounge have special offers like Tapas Tuesdays. With mood lighting and candles, Tapas Tuesdays are a great excuse for a fun evening out. Three Tapas dishes and a glass of house wine for £9.75? There isn’t much better than that.

A romantic meal for 2. Tapas and wine – what better reason for a date?

The choice of Tapas dishes is impressive. The deal comes with a bowl of ciabatta each so you might want to skip lunch beforehand.

Roasted sweet potato and butternut squash with goat’s cheese. Tastes far better than the mush it looks like… We promise.

Honey-glazed shredded five-spiced pork. This batch had a little to much fat for our liking but have had the dish since and loved it.

Worried you’ll miss Trago Lounge when you’re at home during holidays? Don’t panic. They’re popping up all over the country so it won’t be long until there is a lounge near you. They currently have restaurants open in Brighton, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Reading, Bath, Cardiff and loads more.

Third year English student Georgina told us what she thought of Trago Lounge:

Trago makes a pleasant change from all the greasy takeaways in Portswood and is a great spot for lunch as a break from work.

Have you been to Trago Lounge? Let us know what you thought in the comments below!