Scoops Gelato: Here To Stay

Sprinkles has competition for the title of Portswood’s Ice Cream King. The Soton Tab checked out the new kid on the block to see how it measures up. Surprisingly spacious, student-friendly and […]

Sprinkles has competition for the title of Portswood’s Ice Cream King. The Soton Tab checked out the new kid on the block to see how it measures up.

Surprisingly spacious, student-friendly and offering a wide range of delicious sundaes, waffles and gelato, Scoops isn’t afraid to take on the competition.

The Soton Tab sat down with Store Manager, Guv, for a chat about the restaurant, starting up in Portswood, and Scoops’ hopes for the future.

Scoops Gelato, located at the Sainsbury’s end of Portswood Road

We asked Guv what made Portswood a desirable location for Scoops. he told us:

I grew up in the area, so it’s close to my heart. The student population is also a big attraction. I know sometimes the locals aren’t keen on students, but they contribute a lot to the community and are always very welcoming of new businesses.

A range of chocolates are on offer for milkshakes and waffle toppings

Sprinkles is just down the road and has a good student following. How can you stand out against the competition?

I try not to think about competition. My main priority is making sure that everybody who comes in is happy, and wants to come back. What we can do is appeal specifically to students. We have already been in touch with MedSoc and others, and can offer student-friendly prices and deals for socials. We have a large seating area towards the back of the store so we can accommodate groups of all sizes.

Sum up Scoops in three words for our readers:

Friendly, spacious, and clean!

Eye-catching décor stretching to the back of the store

So how does Scoops measure up? We’ve broken it down into key categories for your convenience.

Atmosphere

The staff were friendly, the decoration is funky, and the restaurant is surprisingly spacious given the modestly sized shop-front. Bench, table and booth seating available, big enough to cater to large groups.

Food

One of Scoops’ M&M waffles is tasty and rich enough to send you into a blissful food coma, and it went down nicely with a scoop of the vanilla gelato. Huge range of sundaes, waffles and gelato on offer. No discernible difference in quality between Scoops and Sprinkles, this one can go down as a tie.

They seemed to be enjoying the free samples, at least until I snuck up on them with a camera

Hot drinks

The caramel latte was difficult to fault (even from the perspective of a snobby ex-barista reporter). Full menu of coffees and hot chocolate on offer, the manager also mentioning that they were looking to offer competitively priced coffee as a morning special. Could provide a much-needed pick me up for those crawling to lectures after a heavy one in Jesters.

The caramel latte was so good I couldn’t even

‘Instagramability’

Don’t deny it, half the reason most of you go out to eat is to brag to your friends on social media. You can breathe a sigh of relief, the food looks as good on Instagram and Snapchat as it tastes.

‘Your waffle, sir. May I recommend a side of X-Pro II with extra contrast?’

Extras

Free cloud wifi is available, the restaurant is clean, a breakfast menu is on offer and the restaurant is open from 9am til midnight, all bonuses. Slightly smaller range of ice cream flavours than Sprinkles, but this is by no means a deal-breaker.

They scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

To summarise, Scoops provides a range of delicious food and drink, combined with a student-friendly attitude and the space to accommodate groups of all sizes. Sprinkles beware, Scoops is coming for you.

Any societies looking to contact Guv to ask about holding events at Scoops, give him a call on 07950448649 .

Have you tried Scoops? Let us know what you thought in the comments below!