When it all gets a bit much, pop something on your head

As January deadlines and exams approach, the library has predictably transcended into a case of survival of the fittest. Get there early or don’t get there at all. If you […]

As January deadlines and exams approach, the library has predictably transcended into a case of survival of the fittest. Get there early or don’t get there at all. If you don’t want to give up your precious seat with plug access for something as trivial as sleep, U.S student Eden Lew has the device for you.

The New York School of Arts student has invented, the ‘Nutshell’. Which is basically a collapsible egg that you put over your head. Revolutionary apparently. Said to provide space for sleeping, thinking, and the ever important, eating.

Eden Lew told the Soton Tab:

I envisioned it being used in workspaces where you’d feel comfortable…We tried it on a subway and outside on the street, but it didn’t feel right.

When asked how she came up with the idea, she said:

Our class had to redesign the first piece of trash we threw out. I threw out a sandwich wrapper and started thinking about my bad lunch habits. I always feel too busy for lunch, so from there I designed a pod for people to eat lunch inside and to take a break from working so hard.

Although when this space for solitude was brought to the attention of Southampton students, most were less then impressed.

Third year Geographer, Patrick Donnelly said:

Looks like a good way to get robbed.

Go-to-for-a-quote guy Joe Rosi said

It’s a niche market it’s aiming it at. Only the right plonkers would stick that on in public.

Masters student, Alex Bees said:

Literally no different to wearing a hoody the wrong way round.

This inspired us to come up with some more budget friendly ways to have a nap in public spaces.

The classic hoody. Comes in a multitude of colours and shapes. All excellent for putting over your head.

If you’re at home, whack out a sheet or blanket. Doubles as a costume if it’s Hallowe’en.

Is it a bag? Is it a nap space? Who knows.

Predrinks getting a bit rowdy? Just go into your little cider house.

Using valuable desk space for sleeping is annoying, but who are we to argue if all the cool kids are doing it. Snoozing and not losing.

What would you put on your head for some shut eye? Let us know in comments