Mayflower freshers so FED UP they're petitioning to get their undies washed for free

Fed up with ongoing building works at Mayflower halls, over 100 freshers have signed a petition demanding free laundry as part of their rent charges. Tia Roberts, who created the online […]

Fed up with ongoing building works at Mayflower halls, over 100 freshers have signed a petition demanding free laundry as part of their rent charges.

Tia Roberts, who created the online petition, says freshers feel “robbed by Mayflower Halls” and is encouraging people to sign in protest.

defaced welcome sign is the least of Mayflower residents’ worries, as facilities such as a convenience store and gym aren’t ready for use.

Biology student and Mayflower resident, Carla Broom said:

Put me on the petition! Residents are paying too much for the lack of what we get. Lifts not working, maintenance works getting in the way, water and electricity being off, etc.

Another resident, Emma Martensson, said:

I want free laundry… The laundry service isn’t even that great – I had several issues with it now and ended up spending £20 in 2 weeks!

Mat Baker, who signed the petition, commented that he feels:

like I’m paying a lot of money for an unfinished product. We’re still living on a building site.

Maths student, Kevin Madden, stated:

No way this is worth £136ppw!

Building work that begun five weeks ago is still going on, making so much noise that students are being woken up when builders start at 7.45am.

Mayflower JCR Secretary Ayush Yoshy Kumar, who called a meeting with renting students yesterday, said:

We are paying for these services at this moment in time which is unfair as they do not exist. There have also been frequent complaints about things such as sudden power outages, water leaks and inefficient heating.

Ayush added that Uni-Link are not providing enough buses on the U2 route, causing many students to arrive late to lectures. He assured that the Mayflower JCR president has now contacted the service.

JCR Welfare Officer, Ben Harding, hinted at plans for the action to go further than claiming free laundry services. He said:

Many students told us that it was too small for a halls with the capacity of 1,404. Free laundry would not be enough compensation for the problems the residents have experienced whilst at Halls.

Well this is awkward

You can sign the petition to have your dirty undies washed for free here.