John Lewis Christmas Ad : WORST EVER?

The John Lewis Christmas advert is the most bland and boring thing I’ve seen on TV for a long time. Play In a nutshell, the advert is a bug-eyed penguin- […]

The John Lewis Christmas advert is the most bland and boring thing I’ve seen on TV for a long time.

In a nutshell, the advert is a bug-eyed penguin- either a pet or, somehow, a friend to some kid-  desperately looking for another penguin.

When you’ve been captured, taken thousands of miles out of your natural habitat and been given to a human child as their little plaything, with none of your own species for company, it’s probably quite a natural thing for them to be searching for another penguin.

What’s heart-breaking about this advert is how cruel it is on the bloody penguin.

Whilst I’m probably getting too caught up in how realistic an advert is, it doesn’t detract from the point that these John Lewis Christmas adverts are just getting tediously mundane now.

It may be mean to single out this advert for criticism considering the general level of soppy bollocks on TV nowadays, but it is so boring. They also had to create a product just so that the advert would actually be selling something, otherwise it’s over a minute of absolutely nothing.

It’s almost as bad as those incessant Meerkats; consumerist garbage at its peak.

As students, this is just another ploy to take our free money away from us.

And Lord knows why people put “just seen the Coke advert, CHRISTMAS IS HERE!!!” as their Facebook status. It’s November. Get on the Christmas jumper when December 1st comes around, obviously, but early November? Give it a rest.

Maybe it’s unrealistic to go back to a time when Christmas was about spending time with your family, not spending money on them. It’s not something many in this generation have experienced- we might even enjoy it.

Regardless, it’s time for these shambolic, supposedly heart-string pulling, tedious dollops of crap to be banished from our TV screens.

In fact, just end Christmas TV. Unless it’s a Shrek film. Or Doctor Who. Apart from that, stop it. Please.