SOBAR: "More appealing" since refurb

Over the course of the past few of weeks many of you students, old and new, will have had a chance to sample some of the nightlife Southampton has to offer. […]

Over the course of the past few of weeks many of you students, old and new, will have had a chance to sample some of the nightlife Southampton has to offer.

The nightlife scene in Southampton has seen somewhat of a shift recently, with new clubs opening, and old ones reappearing.

sobar-southampton

Any returning student probably already had their preconceptions and preferences before starting the new academic year. But this year, in many ways, the nightlife feels just as new because so many clubs have improved, changed, returned or disappeared.

One such club in mind is a club that rarely gets much spotlight, unless it’s on fire, is Sobar. It was surprising on returning to find that Sobar, a club that was quite dingy and just a massive booze up last year, has become a great deal more appealing.

Sobar Bar

The music, for example, is of a good quality for a normal club night. It’s got a nice sound system which was not really noticeable last year as the focus was not at all on the music.

The music itself has improved. It may not be particularly ground-breaking, but its mixture of dance music, RnB, and the charts, with a little rock or indie thrown in, which is what most people want to hear.

The venue itself has also seen improvement. Its garden parties, which in all fairness have been going on for a while, are something different, mainly owing to a mixture of big DJs playing (which at first I found surprising).

The outdoor area suits the type of party being held, and the refurbishment has made it look really sleek. If you had told me there was a fire there over the summer I probably wouldn’t have believed you.

Sobar garden

It’s signature Tuesday night has seen an improvement too. Though, having said that, I think the appeal for Sobar Tuesdays has always been there.

Lots of people go to Sobar because they can spend the night chatting with their friends or dancing, and that’s not an opportunity that is available at too many clubs.

But it is by no means perfect- the wait time to get a drink on a busy night is a killer.

As well as that, it does seem like Sobar could potentially be capitalising on the fact that there are so many similar club nights in Southampton, by offering something a little different perhaps one night a week.

Ultimately though, it’s nice to see a small and relatively different club start to look more and more appealing, and I’m glad there’s a place so nearby that I can go to for either a chilled or hectic night out.

What’s your favourite club in Southampton? Let us know in the comments!