Join the National Student Demo

A MASSIVE student rally is set to take place in central London on the 19 November, protesting for ‘no fees, no cuts, no debts’. SUSU is aiming to get University […]

A MASSIVE student rally is set to take place in central London on the 19 November, protesting for ‘no fees, no cuts, no debts’.

10410183_10154776309485204_7955124555060376654_n

SUSU is aiming to get University of Southampton students to the demonstration. You can reserve a place on the coach by clicking attending on this Facebook event.

Students will gather from across the UK to join the demonstration backed by the NUS – the last one saw 10,000 students attend.

Beth Redmond, of the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts, one of three organisations setting up the event, said:

Whole areas of higher and further education are now off limits to anyone without rich parents

Vice-president of NUS Scotland, Kirsty Haigh, said:

With a general election in May, we will be putting free education onto the political agenda, not by softening our position but by making our ideas impossible to ignore…. [It will be a] fightback against privatisation and attacks on living standards.

Malia Bouattia, NUS Black Students Officer, said:

Black students have been hit hard by the government’s tripling of tuition fees and the scrapping of Education Maintenance Allowance; and prospects for young Black people in Britain look bleak with nearly 1 in 2 unemployed.We will be marching for a clear alternative to austerity politics, against the vicious racist scapegoating agenda of the government, and we proudly support immigrants and international students who make a vast contribution to our education and wider society.

Free education is not a pipe dream: look at Germany or Denmark, say event organisers.

demo image

Get your place on the SUSU coach here.