House fire on Lodge Road

A fire has broken out at house on Lodge Road, Portswood. The fire started at around 4:45pm. It is yet to be known how it started, but no one was […]

A fire has broken out at house on Lodge Road, Portswood.

The fire started at around 4:45pm. It is yet to be known how it started, but no one was hurt.

The fire broke out at 18 Lodge Road, a student house. One of the residents, second year History student Lia, told us:

I was in my room when it started, trying to have a nap. I could see loads of smoke and ran to the window. The garden ablaze and black smoke was seeping out of the roof. I ran next door and the fire brigade were here within five minutes. We got evacuated, I didn’t know what to take but grabbed my laptop.

There are currently four fire engines and two police cars at the scene. A command support group of firefighters has just turned up.

A non-student resident from next door said:

I only realised it was going on when I saw the fire brigade outside, I looked in the back garden, saw flames coming out of the roof and heard tiles popping.

The road has been blocked off both ways causing gridlocked traffic in Portswood. A crowd has gathered.

Extra caution is being taken because of the petrol station just opposite that has been temporarily closed.

We will keep you updated as we hear more.