Summer Running Challenge: Southampton Marafun

It’s summer. You’ve finished your exams, said goodbye to your Halls/House in Portswood, and you’re ready to fully embrace the comfort of home. The World Cup is on, there’s food […]

It’s summer. You’ve finished your exams, said goodbye to your Halls/House in Portswood, and you’re ready to fully embrace the comfort of home. The World Cup is on, there’s food in the fridge, unlimited access to Sky, and for many of us, 3 months of freedom. For those of us with time left at Soton Uni, the start of the next academic year seems an age away.

Next year, in April 2015, Southampton is hosting its first half marathon. Challenge yourself to sign up for it.13.1 miles around the city, or 21.1 KM. The distance seems horrible, but here is why the pros outweigh the cons. And summer is the perfect time to start running. With plenty of time to train for it, here are some reasons to devote some of your summer to running:

1)      Running is free

Not all gyms are as cheap as the Jubilee Sports centre. You don’t need to pay for a fancy gym or leisure centre to be fit before April 2015. You can go for jogs around the common or take part in some Southampton running events. The 5K Southampton Parkrun is on every Saturday at 9am, and completely free.

2)      Toning up 

For people who want a quick way to tone up before holiday, running is the perfect option. With summer holidays booked, or even just a bit of park sunbathing, running is amazing. It tones your legs, abs and even arms.

3)      De-stressor

April 2015 will be a time when many of us have deadlines and dissertations. Just half an hour jog clears your head of stress and gives you a fresh perspective on things. Having the Southampton Half Marathon as a goal alongside academic goals will help keep you sane during this time.

4)      Endorphins

Work experience or your part-time job stressing you out? Running puts you in a way better mood. Running just a few times every week can make a colossal difference. If you run a few miles every week in preparations for the Southampton Half Marathon you’ll feel more relaxed and happier.

5)  Looks impressive

Running a half-marathon shows dedication, commitment and a great work-ethic. It doesn’t matter what time you get, or if you walk / slow jog most of it. Not only will it impress friends and family, but it also looks great on a CV and to any future employer. A half marathon can really boost your CV and show a healthy balance between academia and sport.

I ran my first half-marathon back this year in April, and I can safely say the sense of achievement I felt from it was amazing, and completely outweighed the fatigue. Not only is the energy and atmosphere of the event itself incredible, but the feeling you get after completing it is great as well. Sign up now and get motivated!