Premier League Fixtures Announced-What's in store for Saints?

Calling all football fans! The 2014/15 Premier League fixtures have been announced. Football fever is at an all-time high with everyone immersed in a World Cup bubble, and what better […]

Calling all football fans! The 2014/15 Premier League fixtures have been announced.

Football fever is at an all-time high with everyone immersed in a World Cup bubble, and what better to know that when it’s all over you won’t have long to wait to see your favourite players back on the pitch, with the Premier League season starting on August 16th 2014.

Our local ground, St Mary’s

Southampton finished 8th last season but what does next season have in store for new Saints manager, Ronald Koeman?

Bad news already for Saints fans as stats from Sky Sports show that Southampton are the worst Premier League starters with an opening win rate of just 7% from 15 matches, Chelsea and Man U have the best opening day record with win percentages of 62%.

Southampton will be kicking off the season at Anfield as they play away to last season’s runners-up, Liverpool, on August 16th. This means that former Saints favourite, Rickie Lambert, will get an instant reunion with the club he left behind. When Saints made the trip up to Anfield last season they won 1-0 with a goal from Lovren. The opening game could be even more prominent if both Dejan Lovren and Adam Lallana also make a move to Liverpool.

In what could be described as a kind opening set of fixtures, Saints only face two of last season’s top seven in their opening twelve fixtures, with the first few of their home matches being against West Brom, Newcastle, QPR, Sunderland and Stoke.

Sammy Saint will be happy

October 4th will see Saints face their former manager, Mauricio Pochettino, in an away game to Tottenham Hotspur.

Southampton’s Boxing Day match will be against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, quickly followed by a home match at St Mary’s against Chelsea on December 28th.

When Saints lost 3-1 at Stamford Bridge last season

On New Year’s Day Saints host Arsenal. When they played them at home last season they managed a 2-2 draw with goals from Fonte and Lallana.

That 2-2 draw against Arsenal at St Mary’s

Saints will end the season away at the Etihad with a tough game against Man City on May 24th.

For a full list of the 2014/15 fixtures, click here.

Where do you think Saints will finish next year? Let us know in the comments.