Food collection scheme coming to Glen Eyre

A group of Southampton students have set up a food collection scheme to donate to local food banks. The Southampton Community Kitchen Project is an organisation that aims to provide […]

A group of Southampton students have set up a food collection scheme to donate to local food banks.

The Southampton Community Kitchen Project is an organisation that aims to provide emergency food aid to those in crisis.

This Friday the Southampton Community Kitchen Project will be setting up camp in Glen Eyre for their first ever food collection event.

Are you moving home for summer soon? Is the car already overflowing? Then the solution is simple: donate your spare, non-perishable food to this project and feel good. Just make sure it isn’t past it’s use-by date!

You’ll find a gazebo on the patio in Glen Eyre Halls from 1pm onwards ready to receive your contributions. Even if you live in Hartley Grove or Bencraft there’s no need to worry! The SCK team will be touring these halls with collection boxes – look out for the green and white t-shirts.

Glen Eyre Halls – the location of Friday’s collection event

To sweeten the deal Southampton’s Community Kitchen Project are offering prizes to a lucky few. They have 5 free tickets for Jester’s Cider Festival this weekend and vouchers for local restaurants. What more could you ask for? In addition to this, Surge will also be on the scene with an outdoor broadcast providing music and entertainment.

James Reid, founder of the project, tells the Tab

Over 13 million people live below the poverty line in the UK. Food banks such as the City Mission in Southampton provide crucial emergency food and support for disadvantaged people in the city and it would be fantastic if we, as a student community, could support them.

The food you donate will be given to Southampton’s local food banks so you know you’ll have done your bit for the community. This project wants our student community to help Southampton’s wider community and it is as simple as handing over a can of beans!

The food banks you’d be helping provide vital support for local, disadvantaged people. With the help of this project, fewer families could go hungry tonight. Around 1 million people use food banks in the UK and you could be helping them.

Make sure you get involved, you can join the event here.