INTERVIEW: Beth Prosser from Luna Clothing

Every student wants to earn a bit of extra cash here and there but University of Southampton student, Beth Prosser, has gone the extra mile and started her own clothing […]

Every student wants to earn a bit of extra cash here and there but University of Southampton student, Beth Prosser, has gone the extra mile and started her own clothing brand.

Beth Prosser is a co-founder of Luna clothing, a unique brand selling handmade clothing at affordable prices. The Tab caught up with Beth to find out a bit more about Luna and her future plans.

When did you set up Luna and why?

Me and my friend Carys Johnson were really skint last summer and decided to start tie dyeing a few t-shirts to try and make some money. We started getting quite a few orders and so we did more and more. In December we put a two piece by Sophie Goodman up that she’d sewn by hand and the demand for it was huge so we carried on.

How many people are involved and what are your roles?

There are three of us involved, myself, Sophie and Carys. Carys is focusing on her degree at the moment but is missed by the team dearly. I do more of the business and marketing side of things and Sophie who’s at the London College of Fashion thinks of new clothes designs and does the majority of the sewing.

Beth and Sophie

What makes Luna different from other high street stores?

We make all of the clothes ourselves by hand. Even the jewellery that we stock is crafted by hand by our supplier Delilah Dust. When you buy something off the high street and turn up to a party where three other people are wearing it, it doesn’t really feel special anymore – we make really small numbers of each design so they’re pretty unique.

If you could describe Luna in 3 words, what would they be?

I would say it’s fun, affordable and different.

Where did the name Luna come from?

Our twin friends Meg and Cait’s cat (Yeah, really.)

What would you say has been your biggest success so far?

We put our new summer collection up a couple of weeks ago and it pretty much sold out in about 4 minutes, we were speechless. This month our orders have exploded so we’re really happy with the way things are going, we’ve managed to get a couple of stalls at festivals this year which we’re really excited about too.

Any major obstacles along the way?

It’s always tricky to get a balance with uni work as well; Luna could easily be a full time job. Lots of nights where we’ve had to stay up until the early hours of the morning packing orders, but the positives far outweigh the long hours. Seeing pictures of our customer’s wearing our clothes is the best feeling ever.

What’s your favourite item you’ve ever sold?

The Moroccan collection we released, me and Soph went to Morocco at the same time and Soph found some cool fabrics out there. We only made 2-3 of each one so they were really limited edition. They were the nicest fabrics we’ve found yet.

Do you make a lot of clothes for yourself?

Soph has made herself tonnes of clothes which are all gorgeous. I sew whenever I have time but Soph is still teaching me the tricky bits.

What can we expect to see from you in future?

We have loads of new ideas for summer – new fabrics, shapes and designs. For summer it’ll mainly be kimonos, tops, shorts and two pieces. We’ve got loads of new accessories going up on the site too and lots more stuff for men too!

What would you say to other students who dream of setting up their own business?

Don’t overthink it just start small and then grow as you go along. It’s all about trial and error really, test lots of different things and see which works best. Remember to have fun with it too because I think that shines through in your products.

If you’re interested in Luna visit their website, like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter