Southampton Council Will Recycle Glass

Say goodbye to the trips to the bottle bank and no more loading the car with empty bottles of cheap vodka and 3-for-a-tenner wines from the Premier. In smashing news, […]

Say goodbye to the trips to the bottle bank and no more loading the car with empty bottles of cheap vodka and 3-for-a-tenner wines from the Premier.

In smashing news, Southampton City Council have now caught up with the 21st century and will be collecting glass to recycle from our doorsteps.

Plastic recycling boxes will be provided for free to houses across the city this month. Glass will be collected once a fortnight, starting from 17th March, on the same day as the blue-lidded recycle bins get emptied.

No need to visit this place again

The new service is funded by a three-year government grant. Southampton City Council say that by increasing glass recycling rates they’ll be able to raise more income from glass sales, making the service self-funding over the period.

The new service will help increase Southampton’s recycling rate as every additional 1% of recycling that is collected saves £50,000 each year

Councillor Jacqui Rayment, Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport, said:

Residents told us that they would like glass to be collected from the doorstep in the same way as other recycling, so we are delighted to be introducing a service to do just that – which is especially helpful for residents who find it difficult to get to a glass bank.