PRESIDENTIAL SHOWDOWN: Henry Pearson

I want to be Your Union president so I can make a real difference to the experience students have in Southampton.  I have a manifesto centred around 4 key, deliverable […]

I want to be Your Union president so I can make a real difference to the experience students have in Southampton.  I have a manifesto centred around 4 key, deliverable points.  My focus is about bringing students to the focus of what we do.

1620710_10152199671466001_1347329263_n

I want to raise profile of all the volunteers and students leaders we have, to get better feedback from them and reward them better with accredited courses.  I want to be a Union president that gets better feedback from all of our students not just a select few.  I want to focus SUSU on what students want and need. Our Union spaces and the training we offer needs to be improved and better tailored to the demand.  I also strongly believe in making union that works for all of its members from a diverse range of background and from all of our sites.

I believe I am the best person to lead Your Union over the next year and  bring real change to have a Union that works better for students and engages with all of its member.

Henry’s manifesto can be found here.

1. Describe SUSU in three words.

Lots of potential.

2. If you could compare yourself to a current Sabb, who would it be and why?

It’s a tough one to compare myself to the current team, but if I was pressed it would have to be David Gilani.  From my experience both this year, and last year, he’s always someone who is willing to listen to students whatever their role and also manages to keep a cool head in some pretty tight spots.

3. What was your New Year’s resolution for 2014?

To try and eat salad for lunch more often! I actually really enjoy a good salad (once you put some bacon and some croutons in there) so I’m trying to do that, but it’s still a work in progress…

4. Where’s your favourite place to go for a night out in Southampton?

It simply has to be Jesters.  Although to date the best I’ve managed is 5 times in 7 days…

5. If you could do any degree apart your current/previous one, what would it be?

• I deliberated for a long time over what degree to apply for and my second choice would have been marine engineering.  I think an engineering degree could have been very interesting, but I guess it’s a bit late to change my mind now!

6. NUS: Yes or No?

No.

To view what the other candidates have to say, click here.