Elections 2014: Predictions of Winners

The candidates have been announced, online campaigning has kicked off and the number of students actively avoiding the redbrick has quadrupled. As always, there were some familiar faces, some not so […]

The candidates have been announced, online campaigning has kicked off and the number of students actively avoiding the redbrick has quadrupled. As always, there were some familiar faces, some not so familiar and a few last minute position changes. Read on for some educated, and not so educated, guesses on who will win the ultimate campus popularity contest.

President:

• Michael Andrews
  • Daniel Branch
  • Marcus Burton
  • Joseph Hart
  • Robert Hayes
  • Jed Drummer-Marshall
  • Laura Mason
  • David Mendoza-Wolfson
  • Henry Pearson
  • Thomas Rogers

With five joke candidates playing the field and a history of them coming in the bottom half of the results, this race is all down to the serious players. David Mendoza-Wolfson has the initial advantage as current VP Education but he’ll have a lot of trouble competing with the likes of Marcus Burton who seems to know everyone. Henry has the Christian Union vote but it won’t be enough to compete with Marcus vs David. I’d say Marcus will win it.

VP Democracy and Creative Industries:
  • Anjit Aulakh
  • Megan Downing
  • Jamie Hanna
  • Jonathan North
  • Katy O’Brien
  • Thomas Rogers

Jonathan North is taking his chances again after losing to David Martin last year but seems to be the only candidate from a PA background. All the candidates are from a range of areas VP DCI covers so the vote will be close, but this one will probably go to Megan who seems to be the bigger name.

VP Education:
  • Shaun Coston
  • Sophia D’Angelico
  • David Heard
  • Thomas Rogers

Lots of unfamiliar faces for possibly the most important position besides the President and only one candidate with significant experience in education representation. Sophia is current Modern Languages Academic President and will have the Humanities backing. Sophia to win this one.

VP Engagement:
  • Eleanor Cawthera
  • Jamie Hemingway
  • Ross Nation
  • Thomas Rogers

Some strong candidates for this position with Jamie and Ross standing out. Ross has a good RAG background with Jamie coming from a Student Groups Leader and big PA role. Eleanor is rumoured to be running a joint campaign with Beckie Thomas (rerunner for VP Welfare) which could be one to watch. This race will probably be one by Jamie though for just having his name out there.

VP Sports Development:
  • Katie Lightowler
  • Adam Proudley
  • Thomas Rogers

This two horse race between Katie and Adam will be very tough for them, both having huge backings. Adam has considerable SUSU involvement and sat on AUC and other sports committees. Katie is a member of FOUR AU clubs so has her name out there. This one is too close to call and will be a very tight result.

VP Student Communities:
  • Oli Coles
  • Thomas Rogers

Oli Coles has this in the bag. Not counting Thomas as a genuine candidate, Oli is the only contender and as a rerunner his name is already out there.

VP Welfare:
  • Josh Cox
  • Gabriela Discenza
  • Thomas Rogers
  • Beckie Thomas
  • Emma White

After President, this is the most contested position and will probably be the hardest fought. Beckie is rerunning and came out of nowhere last year to win. However Josh lost last year but has his name out there as a result. Despite Gabriela and Emma having a big SUSU involvement they won’t be able to compete with Beckie and Josh. This one will probably go to Beckie again.

As campaigning hots up, The Tab will be bringing you all the news, gossip and actual analysis on each of the candidates. Keep your eyes on us for the most interesting elections coverage around!