SUSU Take Part in INTERNATIONAL Stand Against Gendered Violence

SUSU and Southampton Women’s Aid are teaming up today to make a public stand against gendered violence in an event called One Billion Rising. One Billion Rising is an international […]

SUSU and Southampton Women’s Aid are teaming up today to make a public stand against gendered violence in an event called One Billion Rising.

One Billion Rising is an international campaign fighting to eradicate gendered violence. Currently one in three women will experience DOMESTIC ABUSE, VIOLENCE or HARASSMENT in their lifetime (that’s one BILLION women). The campaign encourages women and men alike to come together to support local and national causes. In 2013 events happened across 207 different countries, but not in Southampton.

VP Engagement Claire Gilbert said:

Gendered violence is not something we should leave to be reported in newspapers or blogs, be tweeted about or shared – it is something that we should fight in any way we can. I am proud that we as a Student Union we are taking a public stand with Southampton Women’s Aid.

The event is taking place TODAY at 6.30pm on the concourse, to spread awareness of gendered violence. For half an hour women and men will come together to share stories, empower one another and take part in a dance together with millions of others across the world.

To find out more, check out the Facebook event. Have a look at what happened last year!