More than 25% of Young People are Back in the Nest

It was revealed last week that over one quarter of 20-34-year-olds live with their parents. The last comparable figure to this is a blast from the past; in 1996 21% […]

It was revealed last week that over one quarter of 20-34-year-olds live with their parents. The last comparable figure to this is a blast from the past; in 1996 21% of 20-34-year-olds were found to be living in their parental home.

Now, if most of you are having a problem with swallowing this information just like me, I’d like to remind you that in 1996 we accepted fluorescent tracksuits, *Nsync and Tamagotchis – the fact that 26% of us live with our parents is something we’ll just have to come to terms with.

In 2013, 49% of 20-24-year-olds lived at home, compared to 42% in 2008. Research states that economic downturn is responsible for these figures, as is unemployment, but I’m sure you didn’t need detailed studies or analytical statistical reports to help you make that connection.

Boys, this is where it gets worse. On average, men are more likely to be cohabiting with their parental units, as 17 boys to every 10 girls live at home. The reason mostly given for this is the fact that women of the same age tend to form relationships with men older than themselves, enabling them to co-habit with serious partners. Girls are also reported to be more likely to pursue further education and thus more likely to live satellite.

Despite the reassuring facts that research has produced, suggesting that the percentage of adults living with parents decreased with age, one stereotype still remains ringing true: those living with parents are a lot more likely to be unemployed compared to those living independently. 13% for the former compared to 6% for the latter, to be precise.
If you’re desperate to turn-over this statistic, move to London as the big city is recorded to hold the lowest percentage of young adults living in their parental home. This tends to be due to the numerous employment and studying opportunities available to young professionals.

Living at home might seem like the biggest failure after walking out of university with a glowing classification printed next to your name, but you’ll be surprised as to the number of young people who have long accepted that without a guaranteed income after the end of your time at university, returning to the nest is the only feasible option.
As a solidly average member of the statistic in topic, I can confirm that moving back into the room I grew up in was a big slap to my pride and that I do indeed fight the urge to shoot myself every time my parents ask me what time I’ll be back home. Luckily, however, I do periodically remember to remind myself that opening texts from ‘MUM’ reading “Are you okay? Are you safe?” are a small price to pay for comfortable living in a warm, clean house with food where the landlords don’t charge you rent (against the promise that ‘rent money’ is going into savings) and give you the occasional lift when you’re running late.  Even more reassuring is the fact that a large proportion of my friends share my circumstances.

Unfortunately, not every 20-24 year old who I’ve gathered opinion from on the matter was as optimistic about their living situation as myself; Will, 24, who looked after himself for 3 years of uni and a year abroad too, shares a home with his dad:

Living with your parents destroys your independence and I feel it has chipped away at my mojo.

Eda, 22, said the word ‘suicidal’ jumped to mind when I asked her to describe how she felt when she realised home was where she was moving to after her degree was over.

Alistair, 23, heartily admits:

I drove tractors all summer during the one month I spent at home after graduating, which was more than enough.

He expends his sympathy to those who are still ‘stuck at home’. Pity party.

This shocking statistic has rocked the hopes of every graduand or student who may have dreamed of rollin’ with the g’times post-graduation, but many who have stood in your shoes would recommend you face reality. This may therefore act as a motivational kick in a delicate place to begin applying for jobs, working harder to secure grades which will  increase your chances of landing said jobs, or even, most of all, mentally coming to terms with the idea that you may not be able to down numerous dirty pints in your living room after you move back in with mummy and daddy.
Whichever you choose, remember, 26% of 20-34 year olds are right there with you.

Can moving back home really be that bad? Let us know in comments.