Staff To Strike DURING EXAMS

Southampton University staff plan more strikes but this time DURING EXAMS. The University and College Union (UCU) which mostly represents academic staff has planned national strikes for this Thursday (23rd) […]

Southampton University staff plan more strikes but this time DURING EXAMS.

Staff protesting on 31st October strikes

The University and College Union (UCU) which mostly represents academic staff has planned national strikes for this Thursday (23rd) between 11am and 1pm – partly during morning exams.

The University is encouraging all students to attend exams as normal. In a blog, they say:

The University will endeavour to maintain the excellent education experience it provides to its students. The University’s Business Continuity And Planning Group is assessing the situation and staff will be kept informed of arrangements.

At the last two strikes on 31st October and 3rd December students and staff were severely disrupted from normal work where protesters stood outside Hartley Library and lecture theatres with vuvuzelas.

With tomorrow’s strike being planned during morning exams, any disruption is likely to be significant.

UCU also plan to strike on Tuesday 28th January (2-4pm) and Monday 10th February (9-11am).

On Thursday, all university services (libraries, teaching, buses and catering) are said to be open as normal. Any changes for affected students will be announced by Student Offices.