New Sainsbury's for Bevois Valley

As if one in Portswood wasn’t enough, a new Sainsbury’s Local is set to open in Bevois Valley, directly opposite Jesters. The new store will be located at 47-65 Bevois […]

As if one in Portswood wasn’t enough, a new Sainsbury’s Local is set to open in Bevois Valley, directly opposite Jesters.

The new store will be located at 47-65 Bevois Valley, the former home of Heli Beds. It will be open from 7am to 11pm and will have 18 parking spaces, as well as aisles with crisps, pizza, condoms, pasta, chocolate and booze.

These developments are predicted to have a huge effect on students’ ability to withdraw cash for all of those messy Jesters nights as the new shop provides an opportunity to avoid the queues of Tesco Express on Lodge Road. There is further speculation that students will be leaving the Bevois Valley drinking establishment to top up their purses and wallets with cash to fund the night further, but no evidence has arisen currently. Nectar points are thought to skyrocket for many through the purchase of over priced, unneeded convenience food for all of those ‘I need a packet of biscuits for every time I write a paragraph’ times.

The road sign of Bevois Valley Road, said to be positioned near the plot of the new Sainsbury’s

Demolition of the old store is set to start in a couple of months, so further vandalism by Portswood locals is said to be no longer a concern. Construction will begin straight away after for the opening in Autumn 2014, just in time for the new academic year and those loans.

There are currently three Sainsbury’s Locals already in Southampton in Bedford Place, Hill Lane and Burgess Road, plus the larger store on Portswood Road. The new store will employ up to 25 people and will stock a smaller range of goods compared to the larger supermarkets, so there are no assumptions that the long journey to the Sainsbury’s supermarket can be avoided for Bevois Valley residents.

[mappress mapid=”26″]

A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s told the Daily Echo that the site was chosen because of its location on a prominent road with a good residential catchment and a student population; so get your Nectar cards at the ready for the accumulation of thousands of points to gain that massive £2.50 off your shop.

The Soton Tab will keep you informed as we hear more.