Southampton Ladies Lacrosse 1sts 15 – 10 Bristol 2nds

Without their full starting line-up Southampton ladies lacrosse knew that this would be one of their most challenging games of the season. They knew fitness would play a key element […]

Without their full starting line-up Southampton ladies lacrosse knew that this would be one of their most challenging games of the season. They knew fitness would play a key element in the game and their well-practised stick skills would be crucial if they wanted to win against one of the toughest teams in the Southern league.

With the team morale high Southampton started with a bang as the centre draw was won consistently enabling  Southampton to get an early lead. With great team work in attack, specifically with great movement from the center between Jordan Turner and Steph Wright, early goals were produced through fast breaks and excellent shots against a very confident Bristol goalie.

Although Bristol had a slow start they were able to pull back and challenge the Southampton defence, with some great individual skills and speed that tested Southampton’s defence more than any other team have so far this season.

At half time the score was 8-5 to Southampton, which could have led to an easy turnover if Southampton dropped their game even slightly. With a sudden turn of events at the beginning of the second half, and although there were two questionable yellow cards against Southampton, the score dropped to 11-10 with 5 intensive minutes left until the final whistle.

However the defence were able to stand their ground, holding the Bristol attack out and noticeably a great interception by Eli Birch saw a well needed turnaround for Southampton. A brief time out called by Bristol gave Southampton much needed time to recuperate and regain their winning mentality. They came back with a vengeance and were able to break down the Bristol defence scoring four consecutive goals. The final whistle blew and Southampton celebrated a 15 – 10 win with a squeeze!

Overall every single player on the team really went the extra mile to defeat Bristol and it paid off ensuring that Southampton maintained their position at the top of their leader board. This was celebrated with a well-deserved.

Team pint at the local bar afterwards, so congratulations Southampton ladies lacrosse for yet another win!