Ladies Water Polo 2nds vs UWE – Match Report

Last Wednesday a very excited Southampton Seconds get ready to play their first match this year, and for the majority of girls their first ever game of waterpolo.  It is […]

AU Southampton University water polo

Last Wednesday a very excited Southampton Seconds get ready to play their first match this year, and for the majority of girls their first ever game of waterpolo.  It is fair to say they put on an incredible show, with some impressive play considering the lack of experience.

The first quarter was a tough one, the girls were adjusting to playing against a team who they didn’t know and who played a more physical game than we do in training matches. UWE broke of us with powerful swimmers resulting in a 0-4 score at the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter we really got into the swing of things, winning the quarter 3-1, with fantastic goals from Rachel, Rianna and Hollie! It is fair to say we were buzzing at the half time as we seemed to be making a comeback.

Sadly in the last half they pulled away once again, with their outstanding fitness showing us up.  The final score was 4-11 but by no means should the Southampton girls be disappointed. For such a new team it was a terrific display, there was no hesitation at getting stuck in and some really great skills came out. A special mention to Ellie who managed to win all bar one of the swim offs, and Lena who for her first time in goal showed great potential making some tremendous saves.

Scorers:

Rianna Briggs,

Hollie Cousins

Rachel Halley

Sofia Hardiker

Majors:

Ellie Cawthera