Soton Take First Blood In Varsity 2014

The University’s American Football Team took a hard fought victory against their Pompey rivals today, giving Southampton a 4-0 lead in this year’s Varsity tournament. The Stags capitalised on a slow start […]

American Football Athletics Union Varsity

The University’s American Football Team took a hard fought victory against their Pompey rivals today, giving Southampton a 4-0 lead in this year’s Varsity tournament.

Image: Wireless Mind

The Stags capitalised on a slow start from the Destroyers, getting into the faces of the opposition and eventually finding an open man in the end zone to take a 6-0 lead. With the resulting kick making it 7-0, the Stags went into the break with a narrow advantage.

Despite a valiant effort from the Pompey boys in the second half, there was to be no turnaround as Southampton held their discipline and managed to see out the remainder of the game.

Image: Wireless Mind

With the victory comes a valuable 4 points, meaning that, once again, Soton have first blood in this year’s Varsity Cup. After having lost their 100% record against Pompey last time around, everyone will be hoping that today’s victory is a sign of things to come, and that come April, the trophy will be back where it belongs.