Your Guide to the Strike

As you know, Southampton University will be participating in the strike tomorrow but not everyone will be affected. Here at The Tab  we want to inform you as much as possible […]

As you know, Southampton University will be participating in the strike tomorrow but not everyone will be affected. Here at The Tab  we want to inform you as much as possible as to how your day will be different. 

Just a quick recap, education unions: UCU, Unison and Unite are all striking in a dispute over pay, meaning there will be reduced services at the University tomorrow.

Adam Wheeler (Provost) has said in a blog:

The University is committed to minimising the effect of this action upon its students, staff not involved in the action, customers and other stakeholders.

Let’s start with the lectures:

It is recommended that all students attend university unless you have been specifically notified otherwise by a member of the faculty. If known in advance you should receive an e mail or your timetable may be updated on SUSSED. However, there may be some last minute changes in which case you can get information from your faculty’s Student Office.

It’s not lecturers involved, some security and administrative staff will be striking too meaning some campus buildings and facilities will be closed entirely.

Now for the libraries:

Library sites will also be offering reduced levels of service and support. Course collection books that would have been due back on Thursday are now due on Friday 1st. We suggest that you check the Library News page before heading out tomorrow just in case any further changes take place.

Adam Wheeler continued to say

The University enjoys constructive and productive relations with all three unions and respects the rights of their members to take industrial action. Nevertheless, the University will withdraw pay from staff taking industrial action in accordance with its policy.

Never fear! If your teaching timetable is disrupted this will be taken into account in your assessments and students will not be disadvantaged.

Be sure to keep your eyes on The Tab and sussed for any further updates.