NO MORE PULSE

SUSU’s new Friday club night Pulse has gone to pot after just FIVE WEEKS. Pulse looked promising at its premiere on the 20th September, having seen a re-vamp of the […]

SUSU’s new Friday club night Pulse has gone to pot after just FIVE WEEKS.

Pulse looked promising at its premiere on the 20th September, having seen a re-vamp of the Cube, the introduction of a new fish bowl cocktail, and high entry numbers which were to stay for the first couple of weeks. After Freshers’ activity died down, however, these numbers became significantly lower, leading to Pulse’s demise.

SUSU President David Gilani said:

Our students have voted with their feet and said quite clearly that they do not want a regular Friday night at the Union. Ultimately we are here to respond to and serve student demand and so we must be versatile and react. The decision to stop the regular club nights opens so many opportunities in terms of using the space (for student groups and their activities) and our time and effort.

He believes that SUSU has become a victim to a national slump in Student Union club nights, saying:

A number of Student Unions across the country have reported a significant reduction in demand for their night life activities over recent years, and it seems that the events seen by SUSU may be part of a national change in student behaviour.  As a member lead organisation, our job is to listen, act and respond to what students say. Sometimes that means making changes to our big events, but this will always be with the end goal of enriching the lives of our students.

SUSU will however take note of Pulse’s early success and are likely to resuscitate it for next year’s Freshers.

Is this good or bad news? Will you miss Pulse? Let us know in comments.