Success for Southampton University Netballers!

SUNC vs. Chichester- 09/10/13 score: 35-31 Our first game of the season was always going to be difficult as it was away against Chichester, who are one league above us […]

SUNC vs. Chichester- 09/10/13 score: 35-31

Our first game of the season was always going to be difficult as it was away against Chichester, who are one league above us in the table. However, even though we had never played before as a team, we played some good netball and came away with the win.

SUNC kept a good pace throughout the game, and utilised the back-up support from Amy, Etti, Fran and Lucy in defence, so that we played a tight game with small, sharp passes rather than forcing the ball into the circle.

Nevertheless, as a team we highlighted fitness as the key area for us to work on, as it seemed that everyone got a little tired in the fourth quarter; which added pressure as the scores had been so close throughout the game. We applied good pressure defensively which resulted in many turnovers, although when we converted the turnovers and built a lead, the level of our play would drop as we became complacent, in turn putting ourselves under pressure. Overall, it was a good start to the season. We have a lot to work on, though many positives can be taken away from the game. Congratulations to Amy for getting player of the match, and commiserations to Anna for getting dick of the day.

Match report courtesy of Francesca John.