A Sad End to Seafood in Portswood

The Soton Tab has learned today that sadly one of Portswood’s most famous locals the ‘Seafood Man’ has passed away. Richard King died at home aged 62 after a short […]

The Soton Tab has learned today that sadly one of Portswood’s most famous locals the ‘Seafood Man’ has passed away.

Richard King died at home aged 62 after a short battle with liver cancer, his three children and wife survive him. Richard, affectionately known as the ‘Seafood Man’ was a well loved face among Portswood pubs and clubs selling cockles, whelks and prawns. Richard has even been immortalized by the local band Get the Tape in the ‘Seafood Man’.

Richards cry of “Does anybody want any seafood?” was a popular surprise for students when they were drinking around Portswood as were his unique products on offer. Many students spent time talking to Richard in between sales and found that he was a friendly and approachable man.

I was in Jesters and he came up to me asking if I wanted Seafood, we got talking and I learned that he had worked in the area for years. He wished me the best for the rest of my Degree, I liked him.

The landlady of the Shooting Star on Bevois Valley Road remembers Richard

A lovely man who would come into the pub and shout, ‘Does anyone want seafood?’ All the pubs and places around here will miss him.

Richard ‘Seafood Man’ King, from the students at the University of Southampton you will be sorely missed.