Lacklustre Liverpool Go Down To Superb Saints – Liverpool vs. Soton

Liverpool saw their unbeaten start to the season come to an end after an impressive Southampton performance ensured them all three points at Anfield. Despite not being able to count […]

Football Liverpool match report Southampton FC

Liverpool saw their unbeaten start to the season come to an end after an impressive Southampton performance ensured them all three points at Anfield.

Dejan Lovren celebrates with his teammates after scoring the winning goal. Credit: @SouthamptonFC

Despite not being able to count on the creative talents of Phillipe Coutinho, not to mention the banned Luis Suarez, Liverpool were still able to field a strong side featuring no less than seven full internationals. Surprisingly, Saints’ boss Mauricio Pochettino elected to start the match with four forwards for the second game in a row, this being in spite of the formation’s failure to yield a single goal against West Ham.

Another 0-0 final score for Southampton didn’t look like being far off the mark if the first twenty minutes of the game were anything to go by. Both sides pressed and hassled, yet neither had a cutting edge. It was not until the 21st minute that the notably flat home crowd had something to cheer about, with captain Steven Gerrard forcing a good save from Boruc.

Chances for Kolo Toure and Victor Moses followed in quick succession, but it was the visitors who should have taken the lead just before the half hour mark. After a cross came in from the left, Rickie Lambert was first to the ball, however his shot from eight yards out was totally miscued and fell into the grateful arms of Simon Mignolet. Liverpool felt they had a strong claim for a penalty on 32 minutes, when Daniel Sturridge attempted to go around Dejan Lovren on the edge of the box, only for the centre back to seemingly catch the England international as he attempted to move the ball past the defender.

In an attempt to break down the resilient Saints midfield, Brendan Rodgers made one change at the break, bringing on Raheem Sterling in place of Iago Aspas. However, before the young winger could make any real impact, summer signing Dejan Lovren got his head onto an Adam Lallana corner and nodded his placed effort past the diving Mignolet into the Liverpool net. A couple of minutes later Pablo Osvaldo nearly made it two, his curled shot only just saved by the outstretched hand of the home ‘keeper.

Despite Rodgers throwing on Luis Alberto in place of Martin Skrtel, chances for the home side were becoming increasingly scarce. A Jose Fonte clearance off the line was as good as it got for Liverpool in the second half, with both Sturridge and Sterling wasting late chances to equalise.

Writer’s Comment: This was Southampton’s best performance under Mauricio Pochettino. They came to Liverpool, a team on a high, and made them play the way that they wanted, especially in the second half. The manager was brave in his selection of four forwards and it paid off. Liverpool were far too toothless up front and in midfield to do any severe damage to the vulnerable Saints defence, with the away side making their numerical advantage in the final third count for much more.

Man Of The Match: Adam Lallana – The Saints captain was neat and tricky with his attacking play, causing numerous problems for the home side’s defence. Furthermore, it was his excellent corner delivery which provided the winning goal.