Students Victims of Recent Robberies

As students return to Southampton, burglaries of student pads are on the up. Several burglaries of student houses last week have been reported to police, including two in one night. […]

As students return to Southampton, burglaries of student pads are on the up.

Several burglaries of student houses last week have been reported to police, including two in one night. In the first incident at Blenheim Gardens, one student nearly came face to face with an intruder as he opened their bedroom door at around 1.15am on Tuesday 17th. The suspect fled empty handed when he realised he wasn’t the only one in the house. It is believed the intruder entered the house through an upstairs window.

The intruder was described as a 6ft tall man wearing a black shiny three-quarter length coat, a dark top and trousers.

Police investigating the recent spate of burglaries

The second incident occurred on Thackeray Road between 1am and 9am on the same morning. The burglar climbed through an open window and stole over £600 in cash, a Sony laptop and iPad mini from a students’ desk.

A further incident was reported on the evening of Thursday 19th on Sherborne Road. Students were in an upstairs bedroom where a burglar walked in through an unlocked downstairs side door and stole a laptop.

Police are renewing appeals for students to keep doors and windows locked and to keep valuables out of sight, to prevent opportunist thefts. It is also recommended to back-up coursework from personal laptops in case of loss or damage.