Jussi Drags Hammers Over The Finnish Line – Soton vs WHU

A goalkeeping master class from Jussi Jaaskelainen was all that stood between Southampton FC and their first win since the opening day of the season. Few would have predicted Southampton […]

Football match report Southampton FC West Ham

A goalkeeping master class from Jussi Jaaskelainen was all that stood between Southampton FC and their first win since the opening day of the season.

Southampton’s Pablo Osvaldo skips past the challenge of Winston Reid. Credit: @SouthamptonFC

Few would have predicted Southampton ending up drawing a blank going into this game, with the home side fielding three out-and-out forwards in their starting XI. West Ham however, could be forgiven for being somewhat miserly in their goal count, with Sam Allardyce having to rely on the all but prolific scoring abilities of Modibo Maiga upfront.

The Hammers’ ‘keeper’s afternoon of heroics began in the 11th minute when, after a cut-back from Jay Rodriguez, Pablo Osvaldo’s low first time shot was instinctively saved and forced behind for a corner by Jaaskelainen. With further first half chances being at a premium, much of the half-time discussion was taken up by Morgan Schneiderlin’s dangerous lunge on Mohamed Diame, a challenge which at first glance could have earned him a red card.

Come the second half and Southampton began to ratchet up the pressure, with Lambert and Lallana both going close in quick succession. Despite the odd spark from West Ham, the Saints were firmly in control, with Schneiderlin and then Rodriguez unlucky to find themselves up against such a determined goalkeeping performance. Both players would have seen their superb efforts at goal ending up in the corner of the net but for Jaaskelainen’s outstretched hand.

Despite the flurry of chances for the home side, it was the visitors who could have nicked all three points late on, when Matt Jarvis’ cross from the right fell to James Collins, only for the centre-back to blast the ball high into the stands from a few yards out.

Writer’s Comment: Southampton were not at their best today, yet they would have still won the match by a couple of goals were it not for the heroics of West Ham’s evergreen ‘keeper. The visitor’s on the other hand will be having serious concerns over their lack of firepower, and with Andy Carroll out until the new year, things don’t look like improving any time soon. However, despite the Saints having three forwards starting the match, they also could not score a goal for the second game in a row. This, and their chronic inability to take advantage of space down the flanks, will cause concern for Mauricio Pochettino.

Man Of The Match: Jussi Jaaskelainen – Who else? Without him, West Ham would have been beaten soundly. Despite being at the ripe old age of 38, the Premier League veteran showed that his reflexes and positioning are still up there with the best.