The Dare Devil of Southampton: an INTERVIEW

Back in June we reported the scale of a crane down at the docks in Southampton. James Kingston, 23, was the dare devil in question and has been up to a […]

Back in June we reported the scale of a crane down at the docks in Southampton. James Kingston, 23, was the dare devil in question and has been up to a lot more since then. Here we question him to see what’s behind his stunts!

This is James’ favourite picture from his crane climb in June. We can see why!

Somehow, James manages to make Southampton look pleasant. This is Northam Gas Works.

This makes us nervous just looking at it

James, how would you describe what you do?

I jump and and climb stuff! 

Very simple then! Did you go to university?

No, I didn’t go to university. I quit school around year 10 as I didn’t feel it was necessary. I didn’t really know what direction I wanted to go with my life but I knew it didn’t require what school/uni had to offer.

What is the scariest thing you have ever scaled?

None of them have been particularly scary. I enjoy them because I see amazing things every day. This morning there was a mental rain storm but in amongst all the chaos was the most perfect double rainbow… That was a good moment. – “Happy are those who take life day by day, complain very little, and appreciate the little things in life.”

I don’t really think what I do is that dangerous. I’ve trained for so long and done so many things that now it’s just the way I live. I know exactly what I’m capable of so the risks are minuscule.

What do your family think of your hobby?

For me it’s a lifestyle, not a hobby. Seeking adventure and pushing yourself in order to achieve is definitely not a hobby. My Mum loves it for the most part. She seen how far I’ve come from being an unhealthy and low self esteemed teenager. I can’t say she’s a fan of me hanging off cranes though!

What goes through your mind when you are climbing?

Not much really. I get a huge sense of freedom, it’s super peaceful as I do most stuff at around 5AM and I just have this massive appreciation for life. People assume I run off adrenaline and get some kind of ‘rush’ from it but it’s not like that at all.

Have you ever injured yourself?

I have never fallen or hurt myself badly. Covered in little cuts, grazes and a few scars but that’s just part of it.

Do you have something that you would love to climb? Whether its here in Southampton or elsewhere?

I don’t have any dream climb. There’s a few things I’d like to do but you probably won’t find out until I’ve done them!

Do you have any advise for people interested in following in your climbing footsteps?

Start small, train hard and be patient. If you start by doing things your body isn’t prepared for then you won’t last long at all.

What’s your idea of a great night out?

It would have to be climbing something or exploring somewhere I’ve never been before. If it’s a chilled night out then I’d probably be laid on some roof staring into space!

What’s the best thing about Southampton in your eyes?

The rooftops are good here. The best thing though has to be that it’s where I grew up. It’s where all my family and some of my closest friends are. They are the reason I enjoy coming back.

To end, what’s the most interesting thing about yourself, obviously apart from climbing hundreds of foot without any equipment?

I’m a ceoliac and think dairy is the devil.

You can keep up with James on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or on his website.

Check out James’ first video of some of his rooftop adventures: