The Wackiest University Societies REVEALED

Which? University have revealed the wackiest societies just as undergraduates receive their offers to university. These daft societies show that despite £9,000 tuition fees it is possible to enjoy many […]

Which? University have revealed the wackiest societies just as undergraduates receive their offers to university. These daft societies show that despite £9,000 tuition fees it is possible to enjoy many different aspects of university life through sharing even the strangest of interests with others.

gangsta_nerd_funny_meme

Found at Manchester Metropolitan and the University of Bath, the societies aim to break down stereotypes and fight good causes.

‘Nerdfighters’ for example, is a “nerd positive society made entirely of awesome” and consists of eating, drinking and running around city centres in strange costumes, such as rabbits.

Others that made the cut include Competitive Eating Society at the University of Kent,  where members aim to eat competitively such as the “Metre of Pizza Challenge”, to experience new foods and local cuisines but “also to maintain a healthy approach to competitive eating and encourage a healthy lifestyle”. The University of Bath has a Curry Appreciation Society offering curry socials and great company.

KinguSoc, at the University of York, where members wear onesies in public and share their enthusiasm for the comfort.

Mario Kart Society at Essex University with its own website and consists of the Double Dash game with a league and tournaments as well as dress up and themed nights.

At Plymouth University, members of the Viking Society take part in traditional Viking games and brew their own mead as well as going for walks in full Viking kit. It aims to appeal to “those who are interested to see the hardships of the average Viking”.

Several universities have an Assassin’s Guild where players track down and perform mock assassinations on other members of the society while trying to avoid detection and assassination themselves. Similarly, there the Twenty Minute Societies run by students at Newcastle, Lincoln and Birmingham Universities. Weekly messages are sent out with the address of a random location which members have 20 minutes to get to.

Celebrating the finer things in life are the The Keele Society of Gentlemanly Pursuits “indulges in the finer things in life such as fine liquors and music of good quality” and The Sheila and her dog Society in Cambridge University where members hold meetings and regress to age six, drink coke and read children’s stories to each other.

A childhood classic for many of us. What 20 year old wouldn't want this read to them now?

A childhood classic for many of us. What 20 year old wouldn’t want this read to them now?

None of the Southampton societies made the cut, but we think Quidditch, Cake Decorating, Lock Soc and One Night Stand Society are definitely up there.

Are you a society committee member? If you would like a WHATSOC article on your society, email [email protected].

If you could create any society at university what would it be? Let us know in the comments.