University Road To Be 20mph Zone

Southampton City Council are proposing to reduce the speed limit on University Road and Salisbury Road, from their current 30 mph restriction down to 20 mph. Council officials say that […]

Southampton City Council Speed Limit University Road

Southampton City Council are proposing to reduce the speed limit on University Road and Salisbury Road, from their current 30 mph restriction down to 20 mph.

Council officials say that the primary reasons behind the changes are to improve the amenity of the immediate areas, as well as raising awareness of the cyclist and pedestrian filled environment.

As stated on the notice (right), the lowering of the speed limits are still at the proposal stage and if a valid counter argument is put forward to the council, the implementation of the restriction may be reconsidered.

This however, is unlikely, and residents of Southampton can expect to see new speed limits signs erected soon. Motorists who frequently use University Road, will most likely not see any significant change to their driving habits as, due to the frequent speed tables, exceeding 20 mph is already a largely fruitless exercise.

The approximate proposed 20 mph zones highlighted in yellow.

Do you think the move down to 20mph is a good idea? Let us know in the comments.