Review: Despicable Me 2

The much anticipated follow-up to the successful 2010 film ‘Despicable Me’ was released this week, to critical acclaim on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes – but we all know it’s the […]

3 half stars

The much anticipated follow-up to the successful 2010 film ‘Despicable Me’ was released this week, to critical acclaim on IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes – but we all know it’s the Soton Tab’s opinion that counts.

Where would Gru be without the minions?

I really enjoyed the first film, so was nervous to see if the follow-up would deliver in the same way that the first had – I was not disappointed. While the humour still predominantly aimed at children (the film has a ‘U’ rating), there are plenty of laughs obviously aimed at the older audience that kept the film light.

The story of the film at times got a bit lost in subplots and aside scenes, but developed well overall. The ‘plot twist’ was disappointingly obvious, but the charm of the film and it’s simple childish appeal make it worth the watch all the same. The vocal talents of Kristen Wiig, seen before in Bridesmaids, are not wasted and even through an animated character her tone comes through well. Her character (Lucy)’s more ridiculous scenes are one of the real strengths of the film.

If you enjoyed the first, you’ll definitely enjoy the second instalment, especially for any and all scenes involving minions. Otherwise, it might be best to see one of the many other films coming out this summer – you can read all the reviews here on The Tab.

Despicable Me 2 is out now in cinemas.