The Summer's Sporting Calendar

With 3 months to fill until Freshers’ Week, we here at The Tab would like to remind you of the summer’s sporting calendar to help you pass the time. Whilst […]

With 3 months to fill until Freshers’ Week, we here at The Tab would like to remind you of the summer’s sporting calendar to help you pass the time.

Whilst last year’s home Olympics will be a tough act to follow, this summer will be jam-packed and there’s a vast array of sports to enjoy all summer long at the click of a remote control.

22nd June – 6th July: British and Irish Lions Test Series against Australia

Captained by Sam Warburton, the Lions will be hoping to beat the Aussies in a three match series. The last time the Lions played down under they lost a competitive series 2-1. This time round, the Lions will be hoping to make amends. This Lions tour will also be the last for Irish legend Brian O’Driscoll.

24th June – 7th July: Wimbledon

Once again British hopes lie with Andy Murray *sigh*. Strategically missing the French Open, world number two Murray is hoping to go one better after he reached last year’s final, only to be beaten at the last by Roger Federer. French Open champion Rafa Nadal and world number one Novak Djokovic will also provide stern competition for Murray once more.

29th June – 21st July: Tour de France

Just like last year, a Brit is the front-runner to win the world’s most famous bike race. This year, in the 100th anniversary of the tour, Chris Froome is hotly tipped to win the yellow jersey whilst last year’s winner, Sir Bradley Wiggins, has had to pull out due to a chest infection. Froome’s most likely competitors are to be Giro d’Italia winner Vincenzo Nibali and 2011 Tour de France winner Cadel Evans. Mark Cavendish is also riding for Omega Pharma-Quick Step and looks set to add to his career total 23 tour stage victories.

10th July – 25th August: The Ashes

After thumping the Aussies on their own turf in the 2010/11 series, England look well placed to beat them once more. With Australian cricket in disarray following ‘homework-gate’, few are predicting anything other than an England series victory. However, it would be wrong to write-off the Aussies, who, with a solid bowling attack and one of the world’s best batsmen in captain Michael Clarke, will certainly seek to silence their numerous critics. England also have world-class talents of their own in captain Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen (depending on injury), Jimmy Anderson and Graeme Swann.

10th-18th August: Athletics World Championships

Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Jessica Ennis-Hill and company will be out in force in the first major athletics tournament since the London Olympics. Most eyes will be cast towards the 100m competition with Bolt having to fend off competition from fellow countryman and Jamaica No. 1, Yohan ‘The Beast’ Blake.

Honourable mentions: ICC Champions Trophy (6th – 23rd June), Confederations Cup (15th – 30th June), British Grand Prix (28th – 30th June), US Open (tennis) (26th August – 8th September).