No Go for Portswood Morrisons M

Morrisons have withdrawn their application to open a store in Portswood. Earlier on in the year we revealed that the former Blockbuster premises would be the new home for a […]

Morrisons have withdrawn their application to open a store in Portswood.

The previous licensing application on the old Blockbuster shop.

Earlier on in the year we revealed that the former Blockbuster premises would be the new home for a Morrisons M. With an alcohol license and opening hours from 6am till midnight 7 days a week this sparked anger among local residents.

The proposed opening hours were longer than those currently allowed for any other local outlet; residents deemed them “excessive”. There was also a fear that this would lead to other stores applying for greater opening hours.

Due to the reactions from the community the late night alcohol application was due to be heard by Southampton City Council, however, the application for the new store was withdrawn before the hearing was necessary.

A spokeswoman for Morrisons M said to The Tab:

We are no longer planning to open the site in Portswood so have withdrawn our application.

The supermarket giant are not currently giving out any more details.

Councillor Adrian Vinson, ward representative for Portswood, said in the Daily Echo:

In my view it’s good news… There is no need for a further convenience store and alcohol outlet in Portswood. The fact they have realised this is good news for the residents of Portswood and the diversity of the centre of Portswood.

Speculation remains as to what will instead be taking over the site on 133 Portswood Road.

What would you like to replace the former Blockbuster? Let us know in the comments.