Portswood Break-Ins – How To Prevent Them

A recent spate of burglaries in the Portswood area, has seen thieves specifically targeting student homes containing Apple iMacs and computer products. In response to this, Hampshire Constabulary has issued […]

A recent spate of burglaries in the Portswood area, has seen thieves specifically targeting student homes containing Apple iMacs and computer products. In response to this, Hampshire Constabulary has issued a number of helpful guidelines in an effort to keep crime down – and your belongings safe!

• Entry to student properties has generally been through insecure doors/windows late at night. Doors and windows should remain locked once housemates have gone to sleep for the evening and no property should be left on show.
  • All serial numbers should be recorded and placed onto www.immobilise.com – this website is the UK’s national property register for high value items and is utilised by the police to combat acquisitive crime.
  • Ensure that all Apple products have the app ‘Find my iPad/iMac/iPhone‘, which has proved successful in the past in apprehending offenders.
  • Please report any suspicious activity to 999.

And finally a couple of handy hints from The Tab

• While this may be an unattractive prospect, try to get the neighbours on your side. If everyone from your house is out, then their phone call to the police if they see anything suspicious could be very useful.
  • If you’ve just taken delivery of a brand new iPad or iMac, DO NOT leave the box so that it is visible in your rubbish bin.
  • If you’re not happy or uncomfortable with the level of security around your house, politely (but firmly) ask your landlord to have it upgraded, they should meet any reasonable demands when it comes to the safety of their tenants.
  • While a number of these tips may seem obvious (and perhaps a little bit patronising), many of the burglaries have happened because students have left doors or windows open at night. Also, if you’re living at home, your parents may have contents insurance, meaning that any claims for stolen property stand a lot better chance of being accepted if basic security guidelines have been adhered to.