New Xbox One is revealed. But is it sexy?

After Sony announced the arrival of the next-generation PlayStation 4 back in February, Microsoft have now unveiled their answer to new-look gaming. Is it the Xbox 720, the Durango or […]

consoles gaming microsoft Xbox xbox one

After Sony announced the arrival of the next-generation PlayStation 4 back in February, Microsoft have now unveiled their answer to new-look gaming. Is it the Xbox 720, the Durango or the Infinity? No. Quashing the rumours, the ‘Xbox One’ has arrived on the scene.

Is it sexy? Despite a simplistic glossy black finish, this console is bigger and boxier than the 360, but the handsets more than compensate. Say bye bye to battery pack bump and hello to sleek trigger buttons. Not only that, but the previously round directional pad has now been replaced with cross-shaped precision. I likey.

Reported to be launched globally “later this year”, Don Mattrick (President of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft) has revealed

it will be an all in one system for every living room, the place where your games, TV and entertainment come alive.

It has also been boasted that the new machine carries out FOUR TIMES as many calculations a second as the Xbox 360, and TEN TIMES more “animation depth and detail”.

So just how badass is this baby? At the Seattle launch conference on 21 May (watch the live blog for yourself here), Yusuf Mehdi (senior Vice President of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business) turns the console on by saying “Xbox on.” Remotes? Mainstream. But for those of a more traditional calibre, if you DO like using a remote, the Xbox One lets you use your mobile. Pretty swish.

But is it backed up by substance? According to Microsoft the system is “connected and ready”. 5 billion transistors, 8gb of RAM, USB 3.0, Blu-ray, Skype functionality, built in feedback for its gamepad triggers, native 64 bit architecture and silent running. Not only that, but the Xbox One Architecture hosts three operating systems. Greedy? Possibly, but Xbox architecture and Windows are connected by a third system for smooth multi-tasking. Switching games has never been simpler: there is no wait. Interesting.

Alongside the console, Microsoft have developed a new Kinect camera sensor and game pad.  Voice and movement controlled, the latest addition to the Xbox family will offer live TV, movies and music. The new Kinect camera has been upgraded to a wider scope and a 1080p high definition resolution with the promise of better body analysis to control game characters. The firm have claimed it can ‘read your heartbeat’. Microsoft has also claimed that it’s lag-free, (like last time). But we won’t hold our breath.

So what we playing? Cloud based games that adapt to the actions of the community are promised as well as new game releases coming up. These include EA Sports’ new titles: Fifa 14, Madden 25, and UFC (a fighting game). Microsoft Studios plans for the release of a Forza Motorsport 5 and 15 other games, 8 of which are brand new franchises. Whilst slightly less hyped about another Forza, the promise of 8 new franchises sounds potentially promising. Microsoft 343 Studios have also created a buzz by revealing a live-action Halo television series developed alongside Steven Spielberg is on its way. Exciting? We’ll see.

But of course the obvious “big reveal” had to be the latest COD, “COD Ghosts”. Introduced by Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg, this COD is no modern warfare 4. It’s got a new cast, new characters and an entirely new world. However, the originality is still limited to the ever-present post-apocalyptic predictability!

So I guess we’ll all have to pass judgement ourselves when this hits stores – but until then it looks optimistic. Keep a watch out for both Microsoft and Sony who will be at the “keynote” announcements for the E3 trade show in Los Angeles on 10 June with further updates. More details will follow!